Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Book Review: Supervillainz

Supervillainz by Alicia E. Goranson
Transgender Reviews/Science Fiction,
Lesbian Book Reviews/Science Fiction
TITLE: Supervillainz AUTHOR: Alicia E. Goranson
ISBN: 0-9763411-8-2 PUBLISHER: Suspect Thoughts Press

Rump-smacking good action-adventure trans fiction ... that boots transgender literature out of the classroom and into the streets. A hard-edged tale of passion, revenge, and low-rent apartments. Supervillainz has romance, car chases, brutal superheroes, epic battles in dyke bars, and a climax that will have you reaching for the tissues.

Despite what the book blurb above says, I never felt like grabbing for tissues. Even though I enjoyed this award-winning novel, I was frustrated by the fact that it wasn't what I expected. Since I love superhero stories, I expected a different novel than what this story provides. If I had read this novel without my strong expectations, I would've enjoyed it more.

The plot is fast-paced and the characters are well-developed. When Devon convinces Bit to smoke, I was disgusted. Since smoking is a pet peeve of mine, this scene clouded my view of Devon throughout the book. I found it hard to like some of the characters, including the main characters, at times.

I don't know if I missed earlier signs, but I thought Devon was a transgender butch until he took a testosterone shot in the middle or last half of the book. It wasn't until then that I realized he was a female-to-male transexual. I understand that Goranson maybe didn't want to spell out where the characters were with transitioning, so that readers could visualize them the way they wanted them to be, but I would have liked to have known sooner. I think Goranson expected the reader to understand where the characters were on the gender spectrum and other topics in the plot, which I missed at first. I think the author needed to explain these things in the novel further, instead of expecting the reader to figure it out on his own.

This novel is fast-paced and a good attempt for a first novel by a new author and has won Project: QueerLit 2004 and was a 2006 finalist for the Lambda Literary Award for Transgender. Goranson stretches genre fiction and characters into new territory. I enjoyed the fact that Devon and Bit didn't receive a lot of negativity from the lesbian community they hung out in for being transgender. I recommend this book to readers craving transgender characters which are real, even if they aren't always likeable.

Review by Ellen Tevault

Reprinted from Rainbow Reviews

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home